7 Easy One-Pot Meals to Simplify Your Camp Cooking
Camping is a popular activity, and adventure lovers go for frequent camping. The most critical aspect of camping is food. Since, during camping, staying outdoors is the standard, cooking your meals becomes an integral part, too. You can look for vegan camping food ideas while preparing meals for vegetarian groups. Also, there are options for non-vegetarian easy to cook meals that are tasty and nutrition-rich. Here are some of the one-pot meals that can add taste to your camping sessions.
1. TACO SKILLET
The best variety of cooking during camping is one that can be adjusted according to the available supplies. The following dish is much of the same sort. You can add or remove any ingredient depending on choice and availability while cooking this. It’s easy to cook and good to eat. The best part is that the dish can be prepared within 20 minutes. It also makes or a fine option for breakfast.
- 1 green bell pepper, whole
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 small onion, whole
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 15 oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 pack Mexican cheese mix
- 15 oz can of pinto beans
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Warm the skillet and add oil to it until it’s warm. Sauté the bell peppers and onion for 3-5 minutes and wait until onion turns translucent. Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Add the chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Once the aroma comes out, add the ground beef to the skillet. Let it cook for another five minutes until it turns brown.
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir well. Then add beans and let all the ingredients sit thoroughly. Add the cheese and let it melt before you serve.
2. BAKED EGGS WITH SPINACH AND HASHBROWNS
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Especially if you are camping outdoors, you can never be sure of your meal schedules. Hence, it always turns out to be beneficial to prepare a heavy breakfast using the camping food hacks that can keep you charged for long. Eggs and hash brown make for an exclusive and excellent combination for breakfast. Besides the taste, the nutrition value of this meal is also very high.
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes each cut into pieces of ¼-inch
- 2 bunches of spinach
- Red bell pepper
- Medium size yellow onion
- 3 tbs of butter
- 8 large size eggs
- ½ tsp of chili flakes
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan
- Take an iron-cast skillet and pour water in it. Bring the water to boil and add the diced potatoes in it. Wait until the potatoes turn soft. Once soft, drain the water.
- Heat oil and add onion and red pepper and saute until soft. Add potatoes, chili flakes, and toss until the potatoes turn golden. After 2-3 minutes, add spinach and butter and wait until melted.
- Scoop out portions from the potatoes to make well and crack eggs in each. Cover with a lid and wait until the eggs are cooked. Do not a hard boil. Let the yolk remain runny.
3. SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SKILLET
One of the easiest, quickest, and most nutritious one-pot camping meals is this chicken dish. Making it is easy, and anyone will love every bit of it. Here is how to go about it.
- 1 cup of white rice
- 2 cups of shredded chicken (pre-cooked)
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 15 oz can of black beans
- 1 ¾ cup of chicken broth
- Sliced green onions
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Leaving aside the cheese and the green onion, add all ingredients to a cast-iron skillet. Turn up the heat and bring it to boil.
- Once it starts boiling, lower the heat and cover. Let it sit for another 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the lid and add green onion and cheese to the chicken skillet.
4. PIZZA IN A DUTCH OVEN
The Dutch oven meals are gaining popularity among the camping enthusiast as one of the camping side dishes. If you love camping, this dish available in indoor as well as outdoor versions can be a smart way to make your breakfasts special while camping. Moreover, it does not take much time to get cooked.
- Pizza dough
- 1 tbsp of cornmeal
- Toppings for your pizza (personal choice)
- Take the fire pit and start the coals to get your Dutch oven ready. If you are using a 10” oven, you are going to need around 30 coals, and 33 coals for a 12” oven.
- Do not forget to sprinkle some cornmeal over the parchment paper on which you will place the pizza dough. Also, spoon pizza sauce on the dough. Then add ingredients of your choice on it.
- However, once you are done with the preparations, place it into the Dutch oven. Now add 20 coals on the top of it and another 10 coals below it. In order to let the steam escape, place a roasting fork between the lid and the oven. Bake for another 15-20 minutes and your Dutch oven pizza will be ready to be served.
5. BROCCOLI CHEDDAR CHICKEN PASTA
Broccoli, pasta, cheese, and chicken in a single pot can lead to a lip-smacking taste for sure. And the best part is that t can be cooked within 20 minutes. In addition to the taste, it will also be a nutritious fill for everyone and a Keto camping food.
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 lbs of dry rotini pasta
- 1 lb of sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ pint of heavy cream
- 64 oz of chicken broth
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Take a saucepan and add oil to it. Cook the chicken on the oil until tender.
- Take a pot and combine pasta, broccoli, cream, and chicken broth in it.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Now add the pepper, salt, the shredded cheese, and garlic powder and keep stirring.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and let it melt.
6. CHILI MAC AND CHEESE
while revealing the camping food hacks, this easy pasta dish will be the right choice for you. After a day’s tiring journey or adventure, this dish will rejuvenate your senses and will demand less effort during cooking. This carb-protein supper will keep you full through the night until the break of the dawn.
- 1 tbsp of oil
- Medium size sweet onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1lb of ground beef
- 2 cups of marinara sauce
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 lb of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups of elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup of chopped parsley
- Take a large skillet and heat oil on it. Then add onion, beef, and garlic. Let it sauté until the beef is tender. Season with pepper and salt and drain the excess fat.
- Add the sauce, broth, diced tomatoes, chili powder, pinto beans, and cumin and bring to a boil. After it starts to boil, add the pasta. Now reduce the heat and let it simmer.
- Remove the skillet from heat and add in cheese. Pour on a plate and cheese and parsley.
7. CILANTRO LIME RICE TACOS and SHRIMP
This dish is full of its authentic flavor and aroma. Though you have to make the shrimps at first and then wash the bowl to get the rice ready, the taste is always worth the effort. If you are looking for camping food ideas on cooking, this tasty dish can be a smart addition to your list.
- 1 tbs of oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ large size onion
- 1.5lbs of shrimp
- ¼ cup of cilantro
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of long-grain rice
- Take a large skillet and heat the oil in it. Add onion and garlic to the hot oil. Sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add the cilantro and shrimp to the skillet. Keep tossing until the shrimp changes color, indicating that it is cooked.
- Once the shrimp is cooked, remove it and add the rice. Cook the rice in low heat.
- Add the lime juice coupled with the broth. Allow the rice to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and serve the rice.
Chances are you will go camping with a group of people who may include your family, friends or even kids. In this scenario bring along one large pot can be a smart idea while making camping meals for large groups. Beside that since the portion of the ingredients may change with a large group of people, you may estimate and prepare for the right proportion of ingredients beforehand at home.